Saturday, August 14, 2010

Level 1 testing

Last Thursday Lynn held a L1 testing class. I was at the end of a particularily difficult 2 week period, dealing with a couple of stressful issues. By the time we got to this class I was "not in the game". Tommy picked up on that like stink on skunk. He was performing some behaviors okay, but in general was not particularily interested in anything I was asking of him. As I sat pondering the issues at hand I remembered a class last summer in which Chris pulled herself and her dog out of the process because the dog was over it's threshold. I decided to do the same with myself in Thursday's class. I/we sat and observed the rest of the groups and learned by watching and listening, and not stressing!

In the last few days I have recieved invaluable conseling from a number of the trainers present that day and have come to see we all hit these walls sometime and have to pull back and reassess our position. I know I have heard that a thousand times in class and in Sue's and everyone else's teachings but it never really sank in. This was a HUGE lesson for me. I am the kind who tends to forge ahead. I have pulled back from everything that even approaches L2. I do not work him unless I am relaxed and I have a clear sense of criteria [thank you Lynn]. I keep the sessions short unless he is showing continued enjoyment and offering behaviors I ask of him. It is his willingness to continue I pay attention to now.

As my attitude has changed, so have his skills. He is now, most of time, walking on a loose leash. Even at a ballpark with kids, other dogs and roasting hot dog scents wafting in the wind. I have a real sense of progress and growth for the first time in weeks. I had made the additional mistake of judging our progress by that of other trainers and dogs with whom we spend our training sessions. I was discounting my ability to mask my stress while working with Tommy... he knew! I now see it showed in his behavior.

I find myself excited again to be training, and getting to know L1 behaviors on a new level. I have also discovered, with Beth's assistance exactly what it costs for LL1 from Tommy. I now refer to it as PB/CCLLL1...that being Peanut Butter/Cottage Cheese Loose Leash Level 1. Sometimes I add liver bits to the mix as a surprise element.Which ultimately translates to the acronym PB/CCLLL1+LB's.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a breakthrough, Patti!!!! And as much as you learned from Chris (and I'm sure it was a lot) the lesson that you mention here and what you did on Thursday will be the most important lesson of all time in your training life. I love Level 1 and you will, too, as you grow to appreciate its foundational value to you AND to Tommy. And as often as you train your Level 1 behaviors, whenever you are training or coaching, don't assume your criteria. Say it aloud between you and your coach. What EXACTLY am I rewarding? Once you are very clear, it is so much easier to explain it to Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I am late to the show in reading this. Your discovery of the "over threshold" for dog is wonderful but learning to apply it to yourself, and not just push on is HUGE!! Breaking training down into small exercises with high value treat( sounds yummy!!! for the dogs!) is spot on! Keep up the good work! And CONGRATS on your new enjoyment of training!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete